Protesters bring traffic to standstill in Pretoria

SOUTH AFRICA: A convoy of Cosatu protesters brought traffic to a standstill in Pretoria central today as a drive-slow against e-tolls gathered momentum.

The fleet of around 100 vehicles left Marabastad on the outskirts of Pretoria before 10am and headed into the city centre.

Last month, Congress of SA Trade Unions provincial secretary Dumisani Dakile said the action would be carried out in other provinces as well to ensure it became a ‘national act’.

On January 25, the High Court in Pretoria granted the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa) leave to take the matter to the Supreme Court of Appeal in Bloemfontein.

Outa had applied to appeal a December 13, 2012, judgment, which dismissed its bid to have the electronic tolling of Gauteng’s major roads scrapped.

Dakile said Cosatu hoped renewed protests would elicit a response from government.

[related_post themes="flat" id="14764"]
© Copyright 2016 South Africa News Gazette | All Rights Reserved