PARTS OF SOUTH AFRICA’S GAUTENG PROVINCE TO BE DECLARED DISASTER AREAS

Parts of Gauteng, South Africa's most populous province which includes the national administrative and financial capitals of Pretoria and Johannesburg, are to be declared siaster areas following recent firce floods, says its Premier, David Makhura.

He said this here Wednesday after Johannesburg and the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality experienced the worst case of flash floods earlier in the sday, causing extensive damage to infrastructure, homes and motor vehicles and killing at least six people.

Upon arrival here from attending an international investment conference in neighbouring Namibia, Makhura received a report from Member of the Executive Council (MEC) Paul Mashatile, who was the acting Premier at the time, on the scale of the damage and casualties which resulted from the flash floods.

Makhura also received a report on how Johannesburg's OR Tambo International Airport, South Africa's biggest and busiest international airport, was affected.

Makhura, who conveyed condolences to the families of those who died, said: "A significant number of our citizens from across Gauteng are continuing to be displaced as the heavy rains continue into the weekend.

"Provincial and local government disaster management teams have been doing a great job in assisting to provide temporary relief to those affected.

"We are taking the necessary steps to declare a disaster so that we can tap into all available resources to assist those affected by the flash floods and ongoing heavy downpours to rebuild their lives."

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK.

Related Post