Curried seagull to posted cat – 10 strangest animal rescues of…
THE RSPCA have released a list of their top ten most bizarre animal rescues over the last year - including a cat from the South West that got stuck in a parcel and was posted over 250 miles, and a sheep with a traffic cone stuck on its head.
The animal charity have released photographs of the incredible rescues showing a seagull that turned orange after falling into curry and a cow that got stuck in an animal feeder.
A spokesman for the animal charity said: "Animals really do the funniest things.
"But sometimes, they need a little help getting themselves out of the trouble they find themselves in and the RSPCA is always there to help."
One of the strangest calls the RSPCA received was from postmen who found a cat from Cornwall in a package.
Postmen were left in shock after discovering the moggie, a Siamese cat called Cupcake, in a box of second-hand CDs and DVDs.
The cat was found in Goring-on-Sea, West Sussex, over 260 miles away from its home in Falmouth.
Using Cupcake's microchip officers were able to locate her owner's 260 miles away in Falmouth, Cornwall, who hadn't seen their pet in eight days.
Another bizarre call involved a sheep who had managed to get its head stuck inside a traffic cone.
The RSPCA were called to a field where a sheep was charging around with the cone wedged on its head.
RSPCA officers managed to catch the ewe before wrenching the item from its head and releasing it back to its flock.
Another hilarious photograph released shows the rescue of a fat toad who got wedged face down in garden decking.
The toad, with its bum and back legs waving in the air got trapped after trying to crawl through the gap in the decking.
RSPCA inspector Jason Finch tried to wriggle the amphibian free, but dropped it into the void and had to saw the decking boards to free him.
In another case, the RSPCA were called after a Schnauzer puppy managed to get its head wedged between two metal bars whilst out enjoying a walk.
The five-month-old puppy, Juno, got stuck in Stockport, but lucky animal inspectors and the fire and rescue service managed to free him by cutting the railings.
The RSPCA were also called after an unsuspecting couple came face to face with a snake in their airing cupboard.
The reptile, a missing two-year-old corn snake called Vecky, caused quite a shock when it was found over three-months after it went missing.
Before RSPCA officers arrived to retrieve the reptile, it made itself at home, crawling inside the couples vacuum cleaner.
Bigger rescue missions also took place this year, with officers called after a horse got stuck on a footbridge.
The skewbald mare got trapped with three legs on one side of the bridge and it's fourth on the other side.
The animal was spotted by a dog walker who quickly called the RSPCA.
Firefighters and vets helped free the animal, that escaped with a few wounds.
It wasn't just the RSPCA that were kept busy with animal rescues as one engineer found earlier this year after helping to free a cat who had become trapped in a stair lift.
The moggie named Maggie May had followed her owner down the stairs but became wedged under the stair lift.
An RSPCA officer, along with a vet and an engineer managed to free the animal using a car jack to lift the seat of the stair lift off.
It wasn't just pets that had problems this year, in the summer a gull hit headlines when it turned bright orange after falling into a vat of Tandoori.
The animal fell into the food at a curry house in Newport.
Officers rescued the bird from the eatery before taking him to a wildlife centre for a check up.
After being cleaned the gull was found to have no injuries and was released back into the wild.
In Abergavenny six large goldfish were rescued from a culvert after RSPCA officers were called to the same spot on two occasions.
Two fish were freed from the open drain entrance on March 22 and four more were saved just eight days later.
Finally, a Pokemon Go gamer was shocked when he was hunting for virtual critters and came across a cow stuck in a metal feeder on July 27.
The animal appeared to be trapped inside the metal feeder with its head wedged between the railings.
The man quickly called the RSPCA who, helped by firefighters, freed the animal, whose head was wedged between the railings in Manchester.